Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Homely and Lonely.... or how to wreck a really pretty plate

I used to do mosaic work .... so ... you know I have 150 plates in my basement .
You also know I am supposed to be cleaning and getting rid of all this stuff !
but as I was putting the plates in a box for Good Will .... I felt like painting on one .
That is the story of Homely and Lonely .

This was actually a lot of fun to do
I just primed the area I was painting , used acrylics and then put on 5 coats of polyurethane .

obviously it is a decorative plate , wall art or here it is on a little easel
no dish washer please
dust with a cloth

in my shop

9 comments:

sMacThoughts said...

My golly, how wonderful!

Meg Mitchell said...

You are always open to trying something new and different. I think that's brilliant. The concept of art on old plates is really intriguing. Keep it up.

Cindi Myers said...

Wait! don't take them to Goodwill yet! I don't know if you are into gardening but if you are, I know what you can do with them! I am going to go to my own Goodwill to get some plates. I am going to bury them halfway down and use them as a border for my flowerbed!
Just an idea!
Oh and by the way - Homely has beautiful blue eyes!

Sandy Mastroni said...

Thanks Susan and Meg
I guess I always think we can paint on ANYTHING
and Cindi ! thanks
yes I have seen photos of plates in gardens
I don't think I'll be taking these to Good WIll

summerjarviswrites.com said...

You are so creative. I love the emotions you convey in your art.

Theresa said...

what a great idea you should do more of these. :0)

Lydia said...

I haven't forgotten your baby doll:) Getting ready for a show, and there seems to always be something important looming in the shadows .....

Have you finished all the work for that gallery- beachy scenes?

Diane Hoeptner said...

Ooh, so clever, so fabulous Sandy! LOVE this one!!

Susan said...

If I could paint like you, I'd have my entire house covered with paintings. I have some mosaic supplies I haven't used in a long time. Hmmm...keep or donate? That is always the question. Hope you had a great weekend. Did Jerry come through on Mother's Day??